A chant still rings in my head after the feat of the U.S. Women’s Soccer Team winning the first world title since 1999 (don’t be surprised if I walk around with championship shirt). Yes, people, it’s that time again! It seems hard to believe that the preseason in state football begins in two weeks from now, which is my personal Christmas. After two promising wins versus Southern Alberta Secondary and Keaau Cougars last year, the Saints let their first back-to-back games in which they were leading slip away in the second half last year versus Pac-Five and Kamehameha. However, with much of the intermediate that went undefeated two years in a row, the team has lofty expectations in front this year.
Here’s what you need to know before the season starts on August 8 in preseason A versus Anuenue.
- The ILH was realigned off-season with the Iolani Raiders leaving Division II, leaving only Pac-Five and Damien with Saint Francis.
- The Saints will only have four league games, all at Aloha Stadium.
- For the third consecutive season, the Saints open a neighbor island team.
- The team returns the two seniors and much of the intermediate team that went undefeated.
- All games will start after 6:00pm for the first time in team history.
Saint Francis Saints 2015 Season Schedule
- Preseason A vs Anuenue (August 8, TBD at Castle/Kaiser)
- Preseason B at Konawaena (August 15, 6:00pm)
- Preseason C vs Honokaa (August 22, 6:00pm at Ching Field)
- Preseason D vs Murieta Mesa (August 28, 6:00pm at Ching Field)
- Week 1 vs. Pac-Five (9/11, 7:45pm at Aloha Stadium)
- Week 2 vs. Damien (9/19, 6:00pm at Roosevelt)
- Week 4 vs. Pac-Five (10/2, 7:45pm at Aloha Stadium)
- Week 5 vs. Damien (10/9, 5:15pm at Aloha Stadium)
Playoff spots: Top seed gets bye to Division Final, two-seed plays three-seed in Division Semi Final.
Week 3 is a bye.
So now, we analyse. The preseason is a good test for the team to try out different combinations of veterans with unproven talent as of yet. I’m not saying that this team will let us down, but there will be hiccups as another year of rebuild begins. The bright side to this: Division II playoffs look a lot more friendly now to get through with the departure of Iolani.
- Week 1, 4 vs. Pac-Five: We now know that Pac-Five will be a huge target in the first week of league play. It’s important we get off to a good start. Even with Tsubasa Brennan graduated, it is still probable to run into trouble. Especially with junior quarterback Kainoa Ferreira returning, he can still torch the Saints inexperienced defence. Will it be enough? The lost leads of 14-7, 21-14, and 21-20 may say no. In this instance, one says no, the other yes.
Prediction: Week 3=Pac-Five 21, Saint Francis 19, Week 6=Saint Francis 20, Pac-Five 0
- Week 2, 5 vs. Damien: Ah, yes. The rivalry continues. With the Monarchs adding fuel to the fire of last’s year games, this year is no different. In Week 3, I will lead the band and make everyone believe. If our defence can hold up and the offence can get off on right foot, that’s a good sign. That leads us to our first ever ILH win and then another one in Week 7.
Prediction: Week 5=Saint Francis 27, Damien 13, Week 7=Saint Francis 50, Damien 12